Sunday, May 18, 2008

What a day!!!

Thank you all for your amazing postings... I report to the group and let them know that people are checking our blog...
Today was remarkable-- and I felt (and feel comfortable speaking on behalf of our group) that the history is now becoming oh so much more real.... We are in Poland. The drive from Berlin was magnificent... There was grapeseed planted everywhere-- miles upon miles of what looks like rolling hills of yellow flowering plants. The countryside was vast and lush-- and the rain didn't let us down in that it seems to come so appropriately and at such appropriate times.
So, we left Berlin early-- very early because Chaim insists that we be the first bus to leave-- as Lynne so eloquently said to me today "Competitive Holocaust Education".... We are first for everything because our dear Chaim would have it no other way... So, we drove into Poland and while we were driving, we watched Maude's video, The Hidden Child-- the story of her life during the Holocaust and then she spoke to us as the hills of Germany and then Poland served as the backdrop.
We then watched most of Schindler's List which numerous of our students had never seen. Powerful.... And, Michael talked to us about about the Jews of Poland....
When we arrived in Poland, we walked around the Jewish Quarter which to me was reminiscent of the Jewish quarter in Vienna.... We walked through two old and destroyed Synagogues and then headed back on the bus. We drove past Schindler's Factory and the hill on which Schindler sat upon his white horse watching the Jews of the Krakow Ghetto. We saw part of the actual ghetto wall and all shivered as we realized the implications of those very walls.
Next, we went to Kazimierz and saw the Umschlag Platz where Jews were shot in a courtyard that now is scattered with empty wooden chairs-- and it was here that we took turns reading testimonies from individuals who saw the horrors that took place in this very courtyard. And, so the tears began to fall... along with the rain...
Back on the bus... the rain stopped...
And, onto Plashov, a concentration camp where Pinchas (one of our Survivors) was imprisoned at a time. We looked at a statue of five individuals made of enormous stone and overlooking acres of land beneath which thousands were mercilessly murdered. And, the rain began to pour.
Back onto the bus and finally to our hotel-- where we listened to Pinchas share his testimony with the group... I will write more about his testimony but not right now, since we must awake in 3 hours for our very important day at Auschwitz- Birkenau.
After dinner, we met to debrief-- and our bus-- all 45 of us, sat in a circle outside and we talked-- and we cried.. and we laughed.. and we remembered.. and we hoped...
This group is remarkable. The students are full of such life and of such dedication to this cause and to the cause of injustice in our world. We struggled with what tomorrow will bring as we march from Auschwitz to Birkenau, we struggled with images of the little children playing today where thousands were murdered, we struggled with how we will ever be able to explain this trip to our families and friends upon our return, and we marveled at the unbelievable connection that we feel with one another. There were lots of tears and lots of hugs... and I feel confident that though we all are worried about tomorrow, that we are all closing our eyes tonight with a remarkable sense of unity and comfort.
This trip is way more than I could have ever anticipated.... and worth all the work and time and preparations to make it happen.
I hope to have more time to write tomorrow-- but to you parents and friends reading this blog, know that your children and friends are extraordinary human beings and that we are in awe of all they are contributing of themselves to this tough but critical trip..
Thanks for your support... Until tomorrow....

6 comments:

mike boucher said...

Dear MRH,

I have been reading the daily blogs to follow all of the happenings. I have tried 2 times to log onto this blog thing without success. I am no Jennie, so please forgive me. I struggle to even change my cell phone ring tone....I hope this goes through.

I had a surprise chance to talk with Lynne yesterday and hear a bit about the beauty of Berlin, the beauty of the group and the oh, so wonderful sleep that you all have been getting....

Today's post is sobering - as I imagine they will be from here on in. When the stories, the movies and the readings all begin to incarnate in front of you - it must be a very powerful experience. I am grateful for your witness as you go into the heart of incredible pain and listen for not only the sorrow, but the resistance and story of hope.

I know that many of you are holding people in your hearts as you move through your trip. Please know that we at home are holding you in ours. If the others back on this continent are like me, I find myself thinking at various times during the day, "I wonder what they are doing now?" I tell everyone I know where Lynne is and who she is with - so even your presence there is generating awareness and conversation back here.

Yet maybe more importantly, I often think of what you are doing as our contact with the whole experience of the Holocaust and genocide. Your eyes are the eyes through which we will see all that you see. So look carefully. Your stories are the ones through which we will hear the stories of struggle and resistance. So listen carefully. Your friendship will be the reminder of what gets people through the most horrible of times. So love without boundary.

I'll check back in again tomorrow. I know you all are just waking up right about now. Blessings on your day.

Lynne I miss you!

Mike

Unknown said...

Jennie - I wanted you to know I've been following your blog and you and your group are in my heart. What a powerful, amazing trip. Take care of yourselves - Brigid

Anonymous said...

Jenold -

We too are following along with your adventures and thinking of you and your group. Miss you.

Love,

Brett, Michalene, Sasha & Sebastian

Ellen said...

Jennie
Like Mike this is my first blog but I wanted you and the group know how you are connected back to Naz. I am teaching the undergrad inclusive class and this past Thursday I did the whole history thing on SPED. We got up to the whole part on sterilization laws and the horrific treatment of individuals with differences. I then asked what does it parallel in history, and if any one had friends on the March of Remembrance. Suddenly the connection became strong and the ideal of eliminating difference is a very scary thought. Thank you (all of you) for what you are doing. Remembering is important to ALL of us, for ALL of us. Love you

Ellen

Chris Guy said...

It's been great to read about the trip thus far and all of the experiences you've been having. As a person back home missing a member of the MRH group, I'm encouraged and grateful for the opportunity to know that all is well and that your journey has exceeded expectations. Judging from what I've read until now, I'm sure it's going to be a fascinating and mind-altering experience to hear the multitude of stories that will be coming back from Poland and Germany. Best wishes and much respect to each and every one of you. Be safe. I love you and miss you tons, Christa!!!

Rob Way said...

Each day I read your posts and experience a wide range of emotions.
Excitement as I discover a new blog entry to read.
Amazement at what you are doing and where you are.
Sadness as I try to grasp the enormity of what you are bearing witness to.
By the end of the entry I'm wiping tears and trying to swallow the lump in my throat which creeps back throughout my day as I think about you.
Good luck with what's ahead!
With you in spirit!
The Way family.